Entry level. Assists in MOT, general labor, dig trenches, set pull boxes, assists in loading and unloading materials, assists in pulling and feeding cable for underground installation, and assists in aerial installation from the ground level.
Learns to operate the Bucket Truck, Bucket, and the Lasher for aerial installation. Also becomes familiar with all materials, tools, and procedures associated with aerial installation. Begins familiarity with operating the fiber optic cable Tugger and Rodder, which includes knowledge of bend radius, pulling tensions, lubricants and dynometer. Becomes familiar with reading plans. Learns safety procedures.
All of the above. Operates Bucket and lasher for aerial installation. Operates cable Puller and Rodder. Ability to read plans and calculate cable footages, submits daily reports.
All of the above. Crew Coordinator and field Supervisor. Operates Bucket and lasher for aerial installation. Operates cable Puller and Rodder. Reads plans, calculate cable footages and submits daily reports. Develops a relationship with Prime Contractors, field superintendents, and foreman. Holds project briefing & safety meetings.
Knowledge of all requirements of Installer. Works directly under Technician 2. Preps cable, learns splicing, connectors, installation of fiber optic cabinets. Becomes familiar with all parts associated with splicing and connectorization. Learns OTDR and Light Source and Power Meter. Becomes familiar with splice drawings and OTDR test sheets and reading traces. Begins understanding of FO Modems.
All of the above. Operates Splicer, OTDR, Light Source and Power Meter. Ability to read traces, and troubleshoot.
LEAD CABLING TECHNICIAN
The Lead Cable Technician is responsible for the installation, modification, repair and maintenance of Structured Cabling, Access Control, and IP camera systems. This includes the physical installation of cabling, overseeing the work of others, surveying work sites to determine the best installation practices, coordinating work flow within the unit, act as company liaison and provide on the job training to other technicians as needed. The Lead Cable Technician is responsible for making independent judgments where normal procedures or guidelines are not established. The job description listed herein is a basis of design and is not all inclusive.
Specific Essential Functions:
- Physically install Copper Category Cabling of all types, Fiber Optic Cable, and Access Control system
- Installation of outlets, pulling cable, fire stopping and pre-termination including organizing, forming, dressing and labeling cables to industry standards
- Terminate, assemble and install modular connectors and coaxial connectors, light crimp connectors and optical fiber connectors
- Accurately test and save copper and fiber (multimode and single mode) cables to required certification parameters utilizing appropriate test equipment as required
- Diagnose and correct copper and optical fiber problems
- Removal of abandoned cables
- Possess a basic knowledge of CCTV, Access Control Systems and cable requirements. Ability to install cameras, access control devices, knowledge of low voltage power supplies.
- Maintain and reference industry standards including ANSI, EIA/TIA, and local and National Electric Code
- Perform site surveys, read and use blueprints and floor plan and conduct visual site inspections
- Determine closet and equipment layouts and install closet hardware including backboards, connecting blocks, racks, patch panels and fiber enclosures, and video equipment
- Install entrance facility grounding infrastructure and perform grounding tests
- Perform cable splices for copper and optical fiber
- Identify active circuits
- Attend training and safety meetings, as required.
- Work safely at all times utilizing the necessary Personal Protection Equipment. Demonstrate safe working practices to other technicians
- Serve as a liaison between office and field, communicating all information that is not classified as confidential.
- Provide accurate and detailed updates to Project Manager and all necessary office personnel if required
- Perform administrative tasks including, but not limited to, documenting test results and as-builts, completing safety reports, maintaining log books, providing labor summary reports, etc
- Inventory materials and keep truck stocked
- Notify necessary office staff of materials that need to be ordered for stock and/or projects.
- Develop project plan including required materials, deliver schedules, completion schedules, manpower requirements and tool/equipment lists.
- Ability to properly instruct other technicians on techniques, work, etc. as needed to keep project work flow.
- Provide professional and courtesy interaction with customer. Including meeting with customer to review projects and providing customer with updates when required.
Job Skills & Qualities Desired:
- Possess a high level of independent judgment within established procedures
- Minimum of 5 years of directly related experience
- BICSI Technician certification or equivalent certification
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of LAN/WAN topologies, cabling standards and components
- Ability to occasionally travel or work extended hours (overtime/weekends/third shift) as needed
- Must adhere to OSHA Safety standards
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and be insurable with our auto insurance carrier during course of employment
- Obtain and keep up-to-date clearances:
- OSHA 40 hour certification
- Lift Safety Training certification
While performing the regular and traditional duties of this job the employee is required to stand; job, climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; reach with hands and arms. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit and use hands to pull cables and wires, use power tools, work in awkward positions and climb ladders and/or scaffolding. The employee must be able to safely lift and/or move up to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distant vision, and color vision. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud and employee may be exposed to outside weather